Friday, October 23, 2009

Ask the Readers: Easy Green Products That Really Work

I always check this site daily http://www.onsimplicity.net/ to find out what she has to say on a variety of topics. I have started to use products that my mother used years ago and seemed to be so outdated. But guess what she was right! They work great. Below are some other ideas on how to go green and save.


Not everyone will share my opinion, but I’m fully convinced that green products and solutions will never truly be viable unless they’re actually better and, more importantly, easier than more wasteful options. Take it from the girl living in an area where glass is not allowed in the curbside recycling bin (seriously!): If it’s not easy, it’s not happening.
Today, I’m hoping that some readers can share their knowledge of green products, ideas, and services that are easy and that work well.

In my own house, I’ve fallen in love with (none of which are particularly innovative or fresh, just completely effective):

Vinegar-based cleaners: Buying a gigantic bottle of vinegar means that I have to go shopping less and also that my cleaner is awesomely cheap.

Jersey-knit rags: These beat paper towels for a couple of reasons. While I do have to wash cloth rags, they can go in the regular cycle, so it’s not an extra load. Plus, they’re free when cut from old t-shirts, and it doesn’t take any longer to walk to the washing machine than the garbage can. (Strategy, folks!) And since jersey is a tightly-woven knit, I find that they soak up messes really well

Stainless steel thermoses: These beat water bottles that need to be tossed and repurchased constantly. I think “buy it once and keep it forever” purchases are the ultimate in classy laziness. Plus, i can actually control the temp of the water or tea in my thermos! I do tend to walk off and forget my thermos on a very regular basis, but soap and water cleanup means it takes just a minute or two to refill when we’re reunited.
control the temp of the water or tea in my thermos! I do tend to walk off and forget my thermos on a very regular basis, but soap and water cleanup means it takes just a minute or two to refill when we’re reunited.

Reusable shopping bags: At first it was a guilt trip. No one wants to be the loser carrying out two dozen plastic bags from WinCo. Once I tried the standard reusable shopping bag, though, I was hooked. With the shoulder-length straps, I could carry more bags at a time with less strain, which made unloading the car so much easier. Plus, they’re way sturdier than they look and it’s been easy to remember to take them with me to the store. Win-win on this one..

No comments: