Thursday, August 16, 2007

30th Anniversary of Elvis' Death

As with all popular icons people can tell you what they were doing when Elvis died. I was 27, married, and living in Wisconsin, weeks earlier I turned down tickets to his concert(would have been a birthday present from my husband who is an even bigger Elvis Fan than I am), because I thought I had more time to see him in concert. Boy was I WRONG! I was shopping when I heard he had died, I thought it was a joke. Hard to believe, even with his problems, I thought he would live a long life. He would have been 72 years old this year and his albums are still selling as new generations discover his music and timelessness.

Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977), was an American singer, musician and actor. He is a cultural icon, often known simply as Elvis; also "The King of Rock 'n' Roll", or simply "The King".

His talent, good looks, sensuality, charisma, and good humor endeared him to millions, as did the humility and human kindness he demonstrated throughout his life. Known the world over by his first name, he is regarded as one of the most important figures of twentieth century popular culture. Elvis died at his Memphis home, Graceland, on August 16, 1977.

“Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess.” -Elvis in 1956, talking about his way of moving on stage.

Some of Elvis Presley's accomplishments:


  • Elvis Presley is the best selling solo artist in U.S. History.
  • Elvis had the greatest number of consecutive #1 hits. (10)
  • Elvis is second only to the Beatles in total of #1 hits. (18)
  • Elvis has the most Multi-Plaintum albums. (25) (The Beatles have 24; Led Zepplin and Barbra Streisand have 13)
  • Elvis has more Platinum albums than any other artist. (55) (The Beatles have 37; Barbra Streisand has 30)
  • Elvis has more Gold albums than any other artist (97) (Barbra Streisand has 51; The Beatles have 42)Elvis has the most Gold singles (24)
No wonder they call him The King.

No comments: