Friday, October 24, 2008

The Simple Benefits of Pets







Sara at OnSimplicity(http://www.onsimplicity.net/2008/08/the-simple-benefits-of-pets/) has some great thought about simplifying our lives, awhile ago I ran across her post on Pets. Since I also have lots of pets (four cats, three dogs and two horses) I can appreciate what she has to say about them.

My pets are great instructors for me: one cat reminds me to take time to watch the birds, another reminds me to take naps when I’m tired, and my third cat is teaching me how to play. My dogs tell me when it’s time to take a break from work, get some fresh air and stretch my legs - all outside, of course. And my horse teaches me to stay in the present and to claim myself as a reliable resource. Now how lucky can one person be?

About a year and a half ago, I became the lucky owner of a nine-month-old puppy. As a first-time pet owner (no one seems to count fish as pets), it was quite a transition. However, I’m just beginning to learn about the responsibilities and rewards of pet ownership. It’s equal parts simplicity and complexity, and it’s become a vital part of my life.
This week, I’d like to take some time to talk about pets, and the ways they complicate our lives in some simply beautiful ways. Since I’ve got a dog, that’s what I’ll be writing about, but please feel free to share your thoughts on any creature, from toddler to turtle.

Pets require you to be selfless.
It’s not that I enjoy walking around the yard when it’s below freezing. I also don’t enjoy cleaning up dog poop. I certainly don’t do these activities for my health. However, I care about Roo, so I do these things almost unfailingly. It’s no longer just about me; it’s about another creature’s needs, and that’s a good thing. Yeah, it would be fun to stay curled up and watch “Friends” reruns for hours, but it’s not a bad thing when my ShedMaster 2000 prevents me from doing everything I want, all the time. Stepping outside my own needs and wants, even for a few minutes at a time, is a great way to restore balance and humbleness to my life.


Has pet ownership changed you? Please share your stories and let me know what you’ve gained from your pet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog entry is amazing. I found very exciting points that I liked and I will use to help with my pets. I also have a site that offers Pet Tips, feel free to try it out. http://FreePetTips.com